Saturday, August 18, 2018

The Art Of The Toad


  My Absolute Favorite Topwater

 Where a lot of people throw a buzzbait I throw a toad. Outside of big wake baits like rats, toads rule my topwater world. I've caught more 5+ pound bass on a toad than any other topwater lure. I also throw it more than anything else too.


 Now when I say toads I'm not talking about hollow bodied frogs those are completely different baits. I'm talking solid bodied baits that you rip across the surface. Like the ZOOM Horny Toad or Bass Assassin Logger Toad. Cast and crank, tear it through the grass and weeds and hold on.


  Toads became my go to topwater lure several years back, I loved fishing buzz baits but grew frustrated with the prop constantly getting bound up with weeds. So I started tinkering around with toads and the more I used them the more versatile I found they are. Not only are they fairly weedless but I fish them in more than one way.

 Although they are intended to be topwater lures but you can also fish them as a wake bait, slow roll  and present them mid-column or even drag them on the bottom. I've caught fish on all of those presentations. I will also use them as jig trailers. Experiment, it's fun.

   
 In the above picture are my hands down favorite toads. I have literally caught hundreds upon hundreds of fish on those three baits with the ZOOM Horny Toad (center) being the king. The Bass Assassin Logger Toad (left) has similar sound to the Horny Toad but I think it's a little more subtle because the legs are longer. I like to use it as my first change from the Horny Toad if things start to slow down, it's also a great jig trailer. The toad to the right is the Strike King Rage Tail Toad, I like it for it's action (read sound) and I've caught a few really good fish on it.

  There are only two things I think about when it comes to choosing what toad I'm going to use. It's tone, either being light or dark with no real color preference and the sound it makes coming across the surface. I throw white, some kind of green or brown and black. I will also throw other colors or two tones but really it's all about light or dark tone to me. 

 Sound is as important if not more important than color. You have to experiment a little at times but I have found that if the bite shuts off or slows down sometimes just a change in leg types will put you back on fish. I don't know what the bass are hearing when certain toads or topwater baits come across the water but the Horny Toad and the Logger Toad sound like shad busting the surface to me. Again I don't know what they're hearing but those two baits in particular sound like shad or little baitfish busting the surface to me.


 I have had so much fun throwing these baits and learning how to use them that I think everyone should at least give them a fair shot. You don't need a special rod and reel combo in fact I use kind of a beater set up. It's a 6'9" med-hvy/extra fast with a 8:1 reel and the reel I just "up-graded" (more of a lateral move quality wise) last year. I do recommend running braided line you don't want any stretch when you set the hook. Nothing fancy and the rig can double as a jig/Texas rig combo in a pinch. 


 Honorable mention, the Stanley Ribbit is one of if not the most popular toad on the market and many a fish have fallen for these. They are on my short list for go to toads. The plastic is dense and fairly durable as far as soft plastics go and they make plenty of noise coming across the water.

 Lastly two things, don't be afraid to throw these babies in open water and I love to fish them at night too. My favorite bait to a fault. Next time you're out give 'em a shot you won't be disappointed.

Until next time, tight lines.
H









                   

No comments:

Post a Comment