Tuesday, August 28, 2018

What Do We Have Here?

Maybe my new river boat?





  There were the teaser videos and pictures like the ones above that were ripped from the videos. There was a some chatter online and quite a few questions as to what this thing was really going to be. How big is it? What's it going to look like? Is there going to be a peddle version? I see it says "Topwater Series" does that mean three or four boats? And I was right there with the best of them. I pestered poor Ryan Lilly (Brand Manager for Johnson Outdoors Watercraft Division) but he held strong and wouldn't spill the beans. He just asked that I promote/share any social media stuff they released. Fine. Whatever. I thought you liked me.

 Now you can have all the sizzle and flash in the world but if you can't deliver you'll be outed pretty quickly. With that being said Old Town did a similar launch with the Predator Series and hit it out of the park. So I figured they had something cool on the horizon and any questions I had would be answered at ICAST which at the time was only about six weeks away.

 With ICAST right around the corner and teaser videos were being released each week leading up to the event a dealer brochure was leaked and I saw there was the 120 I knew that was the one I wanted. Now the questions of how well does the 120 paddle? Will it make a good river boat and will I like it once I put it to use?


 When I got to ICAST and made my way over to the Old Town/Ocean Kayak booth I saw something like seven or eight different Topwaters in various colors and models. To jump back a little there are three different models in the Topwater Series. The 106, 120 and the 106 PDL. 106 and 120 standing for ten feet six inches and twelve feet respectively. Each with the same four color options.

Photic

 

First Light


Boreal



Olive





The Duck's Guts

 I know, it's kind of a gross term I picked up from an old business acquaintance but it made me chuckle and it's funnier than saying "here's the bottom line." The duck's guts, I dig it. I like the open platform. There is a huge tank well so you have plenty of aft storage space. The seat! I hadn't even mentioned the seat. It's a variation of their Element Seat that's part of the Predator Series and I like it as well or better than the Element Seat in my Predator PDL. Total home run.



 One of the things that I have insisted on being part of any boat I own is a center hatch, because that's where I like to stow my rods both on the water (to keep them out of the way) and during transport (out of sight and protected from the elements). On a recent weekend fishing trip the only time I missed having the center hatch was to and from the lake. As a matter of fact I didn't miss it at all on the water. Having a nice clean open deck in front of me was truly a pleasure.


 How's it paddle? Well I'm glad you asked. But before I answer let me give a brief explanation before I give it so it doesn't sound like I'm being negative or critical.

 This is a twelve foot long boat that is 33.5" wide so it's not a race boat. It's well a utility boat... It paddles good enough to cover some water, tracks well and turns quickly for a boat with a Tri-Hull design. One thing I noticed is there is almost no "bow walk" (which is a good thing) even though this thing seems to have more than enough rocker to get it to turn quickly. Her real strength is her stability, rock solid.

 For now the only real change I'm wanting to make is to install a rudder and maybe a rod holder or two but nothing radical. They've done a good job, I may just have to hold on to this one. Or add another to the fleet.

 Is it going to make a good river boat? Well you'll just have to come back next week and I'll let you know. For now though my first impressions are good. She makes a great "throw and go" boat that has a ton of capacity (ok a 1/4 ton) is more than comfortable enough to spend the entire day on the water in. Is stable enough to inspire confidence in just about any conditions and paddles well. I dig it.

Until next week,
Tight Lines

H


2 comments:

  1. Nice job pal. A lot of the same pros that I had but you say it so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the slow response. I started a new blog and don't visit here much. Thank you for the kind words.
      I don't put much time on the Topwater because I use my Trident 13 so much, I do stand by what I said here. This is a killer river boat. I've done a few floats in it now and every time out I think I've made the right decision.

      Delete